babbling brook

just random thoughts on knitting, reading, life & other things I like

Friday, October 14, 2005

Good Things

So today I pretty much forced my mother to clean out her yarn stash. Man, she had a lot. Stuff she bought at the goodwill or whatever struck her fancy, then she put it in boxes or bags & forgot it. We got rid of 3 huge black garbage bags - all the cheapie stuff that she would never use again. Plus I got some new yarn! She pretty just makes me take them, not that I mind at all. And not that I need it at all!

So today I got:

This gorgeous recycled silk yarn, it's mostly red with a lot of other colours in it. I think it might be this No idea what to do with it, maybe I'll make the scarf with the pattern on the webpage. I saw a scarf at Ben Franklins today similar to it. She had made me a purse out of one hank of it that I loved but needs to be repaired. It's really heavy & smelled really funny so I put it in a bag with a dryer sheet to see it that would help.

Two hanks of Bryspun Kid n Ewe in forrest green. No idea what I'm going to do with it. But hey, it's wool & it's free.

2 balls of white/green/blue silky yarn. I found it at Ben Franklins today but I forgot the name of it. It's really nice, but again, I don't know what I'm going to do with it. maybe make a scarf. (because I need more of them!)

2 hanks of some very old yarn - Fantacia Ciao yarn - in greys, oranges, blues. It's pretty hard to explain. It's so old I can't even find a website for it. But I liked it & it seems to be prety high quality stuff.

And the very best - 3 more hanks of Koigu KPPPM, which brings a grand total of 6 in my stash. This is the colour I have.
I'm so in love with this yarn. I just don't know what to do with it. I did make some fishies for my cat when I only had like one ball of it. But with 6...maybe even 7, I'm not sure how much is in the one ball...eek. I might make the Rockstar scarf from Knit Wit but I don't think I could bear to make yet another scarf out of it. Socks? Maybe a wrap? I don't think I have enough for a sweater. Any suggestions?

So to thank my mom, I took her to the movies. We saw Serenity since I thought she would like it the most out of the billion or so movies I want to see. I love the show (of course I am one of the millions who didn't see it when it was on TV but in my defense, I rarely watch TV shows when they are actually on, prefering DVDs.) And...I still love the show, much more than the movie. It's good, but not great. Afterwards, she mentioned she wanted to see A History of Violence which I also wanted to see & probably would have been better. Oh well. 1 movie down, 10 to go. I'm not even going to list them because there is so many.

I'm also getting into making socks, so I'm going join in Socktober over on Lolly's blog.

Join in!


I'm nearly done with one of my Sock Candy Socks & it's going a lot better than I expected. I'm going to type up my pattern, more for myself than anything since I have no memory, so it'll be up here in a couple of days. I even convinced my mom to get some sock yarn & join in (though why I wanted to convince my poor mother that she needed even more yarn I have no idea.) She has no blog but she bought herself some Magic Stipes Yarn when we were out.

All right, I'm getting tired. Off I go.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home