babbling brook

just random thoughts on knitting, reading, life & other things I like

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Manos!

I finished the scarf for my birthday friend...I was knitting on it all day yesterday & blocked it about an hour before we met up...so it was slightly damp when she got it. Oops. But she loved it anyway, she went on & on how much she loved the colorway & the stitch pattern & I must agree with her - it was totally gorgeous. Not to mention heavy & warm, I was almost sad to give it away but I'm glad it's going to a good home.

Plus everyone in the bar went on & on about it, including the girl who made the beautiful necklace CoffeeBoy gave me for Christmas. We had a nice nerdy discussion about our craft

I didn't get a picture of it completed but I did get a shot of the stitch pattern yesterday, so here's the stats:

My So Called Birthday Scarf
Started: December 27
Finished: January 3
Pattern: My So Called Scarf from Sheep In The City (by a fellow knitting Stacey!)
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay in color 117 (deep dark purple colorway...much darker than the photo shows)
Needles: Size 11 circ
Finished dimensions: (after blocking) 4 inches by 55 inches
Notes: First of all, I only had one skein of Manos so I only CO 22 stitches and ended up mmuch shorter than the pattern - but after I blocked it, it was long enough to wrap around my ( much smaller) friend's neck a couple of times. If I do it again for myself, I'll probably follow the pattern exactly. I do love how this turned out...the stitch pattern shows of the gorgeous colours & was pretty easy to follow once I got it down. I had to frog it a couple of times - once I totally screwed up the stitch pattern because I started while I was in the car & wrote the pattern down wrong. Then about halfway through, I had frog back about 4 inches because I worked on it when I was tired & managed to decrease by 4 stitches in a row & didn't notice. That was my only trouble with the pattern - generally I knit mindlessly, I don't have to pay attention to what I'm doing because I'm reading or watching tv (probably the reason I don't do lace knitting). So this was a challenge, paying strict (visual) attention to what I was knitting (new podcasts from Lime & Violet and Knitty D & the City yesterday got me going yesterday). Well worth it though...to a nonknitter, it looks like a much more complicated stitch pattern than it is. Plus, he pattern creates a nice dense scarf, so it'll be super warm. As for the yarn...love it. It was my first experience with Manos and sigh. So beautiful! So soft! So warm! I made sure to give my friend the label with the lovely story about the yarn too, so it made a perfect gift. My only issue is the thick/thin - ness of the yarn...I've decided (after making my niece's scarf too) I dislike it, because the edges get wonky if two stitches on top of each other are at the thick part. But it's only a small complaint, because it's not as bad as other yarns.

Next up is a BiL neckwarmer that he has bugged me about for a year now. I'm kinda winging it, so we'll see how it turns out. I'm using Mission Falls Wool 1824, so at least it'll be lovely to work with.

I'm not doing any official resolutions, more "intentions" (I forget what blog I got that from, so I apologize. Just saying it's not my term). I don't have any original ones - I feel so average! But here goes:
  • Eat & live more healthy - since moving with the CB, I've adapted his eating habits - eating out a lot, too many chips, just general badness. Not to mention I haven't been to the gym in months. I've gained too much weight and I can't afford to buy new clothes! So I need to work on that.
  • Work from the knitting stash - pretty much following these guidelines, although we'll see after a couple of months.
  • Finish up my UFOs - some have been on the needles for so long, I've forgotten about them.
  • Actually work on my writing...I have the idea for a novel and the research materials, I just need to get off my ass and do it - and stop wasting so much time on the Knitty Boards & blogs..I've become even more addicted to knitting blogs - do you see my bloglines? I just need to stop playing on the internets all day long.
  • Take part in a knitting group/Stitch n' Bitch. I'm so shy that I haven't done anything like that yet. I want to push myself and get over my insecurities about meeting new people.
So just some good intentions to work on for 2007. Let's see if I can do it. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    haha. I've started the my so called scarf a couple times now. It looks fine except that it's making rows somehow. It's heard to explain. Your scarf, however, looks great!

    I feel ya about wasting time on the internet! GOod luck with your resolutions!!

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love that pattern. I'll probably be making it when the yarn I ordered arrives and after I finish my current scarf. Yours turned out awesome! That pattern really seems to show off colorways well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home