babbling brook

just random thoughts on knitting, reading, life & other things I like

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

When I fall off the wagon...

...I go crazy!

Yes, I bought yarn this weekend, after signing up for the stashalong. But in my defense, I was with my mother - a true enabler - and I had a gift certificate from Google that of course I had to use for yarn. This will be it for myself...as for my Mellow Secret Pal from the knittyboards, I cannot say. I'm very excited to be taking part in spoiling someone else! I do want to be more involved in the knitting community, both here & on the internet, so this is a great way.

But here is my new purchases...

Before we left Eugene for Portland, we of course had to stop at Ben Franklin. This is a large craft store with an amazing selection of yarn - not the typical Red Heart/Lions/Patons you see at most places. We're talking Noro, Crystal Palace, Lamb's Pride, Berocco, and Cascade. I restrained myself for most of the browsing until we came across a clearence area. Where we found a large selection of some Noro & Cascade. I still wasn't going to buy anything (my mom picked up some recycled silk & some Noro Silk Garden.) But when I spoted this Cascade yarn for a mere $3.74 a hank - and all in the same dyelot, I knew I had to have it.

I realized I don't have a cardi - my favourite thing to wear - anywhere close to the needles. And how could I pass up such a deal? I love the colour - a neutral black/white/grey mix that if I needed more , I could always use some black I have in the stash for the collar or something. I don't have a pattern yet but I'm thinking designing my ownOnce we got to Portland and after my mom oooed & ahhed over the new house, we got some coffee from CoffeeBoy & I took her to my favourite LYS Close Knit. I love that place and it's so close to my house. Very dangerous. It was very busy and the poor owner Sally was running things by herself. She still took time to answer questions - my mom fell in love with a cabled scarf that was made up & while Sally was out of the pattern, my mom ended finding another scarf she liked made from Alpaca With A Twist Highlander and got some in Hawthorne Pink to go with it. I wish I had some pictures, but I didn't get a chance. I picked up some Highlander myself because I need a Panta - my hair is so long, I wear it up most days & my hats don't really work with it. I don't have a picture of the hank because as soon as we got back to the house, I started it. This is the Heather In Bloom colourway - a deep purple.

I love this pattern, it goes so quickly. And the yarn....ah, alpaca! My first time using it - although this is a blend of alpaca & merino wool with a little nylon & microfiber thrown in. So very soft & warm and dense! It's going to be a favourite of mine, I can tell. I should have some FO pics up soon, I took this yesterday afternoon and now I'm nearly done with it.

And I love the tweedy look of the yarn too.
I didn't buy this next yarn, but I finally bought the pattern to go with it. I give you Wicked in its very very begining stages. I'm starting this over my weekend, as soon as Panta is done.

That's KnitPicks Swish for it, I'm sure I mentioned it. I think this is going to be a lovely sweater, I need to learn to knit faster so I can have it.

Sadly, my mom left before I got my other purchase in the mail. It arrived yesterday and it's everything I heard it would be. I give you Malabrigo!

I got this from YarnCountry and used a $10 certificate from Google for most of it. I splurged a bit and got a second hank so the total came to $15. And it arrived superfast too - ordered on Friday, got it on Monday.

Ah, Malabrigo. I don't know what I'm going to do with you, but I want to just pet you all the time. It's my favourite colour (it's the Verde Adriana colourway) and I think it'll be a scarf at some point.

And a p0rny close up
So I don't think I did too badly on my splurge, it could have been a lot worse. I wish I got pictures of my moms too - she got some other gorgeous yarn. Plus I had such a lovely time with my mom visiting - had dinner & just sat around and knitted for the rest of the night. I can't wait until she visits again...although it is a danger to my wallet!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love your yarny purchases -- especially the Malabrigo! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home