babbling brook

just random thoughts on knitting, reading, life & other things I like

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Celebrating the return of home wifi

Of course, the very week I am moving, I suddenly have internet access in my apt again. I think it might be the new shop downstairs...and I can't complain to loudly about not having access these 4 months because, hey, I met the CoffeeBoy because of it. In any case, I feel I should post today to celebrate.

I was late signing up for Lolly's Socktoberfest - too much going on. Still, I'm going to try to do it.

Even thought I have an abundence of sock yarn, I'm going to use this:

A newer one, but I'm excited to try it...I don't know of the pattern yet, more than likely I'll grab a pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. With the move, I'm unlikely to finish (in fact, I should be packing instead of futzing around on the internets) but hey, I'm going to try. Never mind I haven't finished the CoffeeBoy socks yet...

And since I love to talk about myself (isn't that what blogs are for) here's Lolly's Socktoberfest quizy thing:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I actually started several years back but my attempts were disasters - see this post about the woes my woes of the haunted socks. Last October, I joined Socktoberfest and I made a pair but I didn't quite understand the contruction (or the reason why socks are made with small needles). I pretty much taught myself through books. A class probably would have been helpful but I think I do all right.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was the Sock Candy Socks I made last for the last Socktoberfest. They are baggy and don't hold up all that well. I wear them around sometimes but they really aren't that great - the yarn is comfy though. I keep thinking I should take them apart & reuse the yarn but I just can't. Hey, they were my first socks!

What would you have done differently?
Used smaller needles instead of being so impatient. And getting the gauge correct!

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I loved the KnitPick SockGarden yarn I used for these socks - it's so pretty & soft but unfortunatly a little difficult to wear - I've only wore them a couple of times and they are getting a little wore down because of the pure wool content & I didn't reinforce the sole. I don't think there is a sock yarn I haven't enjoyed - I even like Magic Stripes, they really hold up.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I've only used dpns - though I want to desperately learn 2 circulars or Magic Loop. The only thing keeping me from it is the fact I don't have circs in smaller sizes & I'm trying not to spend money on knitting things at the moment. But that's my plan in the coming weeks - I don't like knitting in public on dpn because I will, inevidibly, drop them.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I have fallen desperatly in love with short rows. I hate hate hate to pick up stitches.

How many pairs have you made?
I've made 7 pairs total & half finished 2.

Now it's time to go back to packing. I'm doing the easy stuff - books, vids, cds. You know, the ones you do all organized. It's when it gets down to the wire I start throwing stuff into boxes.

Small note. I have 12 boxes of books. Sigh. Love the books, hate moving them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home